Active Living Workshops
Call for Applications
Applications are now being accepted for the next round of
Active Living Workshops,
to be held between July 2017 and June 2018.
Submissions are due by 5:00 p.m. Eastern on Friday, March 17, 2017.
Health by Design and the Indiana State Department of Health Division of Nutrition and Physical Activity are collaborating to offer a series of Active Living Workshops to select communities in Indiana. These Active Living Workshops share best practices in creating active living communities through strategic plans, policies, programs and projects. They are awarded annually and build momentum toward action by:
- Helping participants recognize how community planning and design influence our ability to live active lives;
- Providing participants with practical tools and ideas for building healthier neighborhoods;
- Illuminating how transportation and land use patterns can work together to form safer, healthier and more accessible communities;
- Introducing Complete Streets principles and illustrating how they may be applied in a variety of contexts;
- Strengthening local partnerships by convening key participants and stimulating shared learning;
- Helping community leaders and stakeholders from all sectors develop a shared vision for active living; and
- Preparing community partners to develop an active living action plan for goals identified during the workshop.
After each workshop, communities receive a summary report with best practice resources, and technical assistance and guidance on implementing the goals outlined in the active living action plan they create.
Eleven Active Living Workshops were held in 2014, in Lebanon, Hendricks County, Frankfort, Batesville, Warren County, Bloomington, Madison, Tippecanoe County, Rensselaer, Madison County and Decatur.
Four Active Living Workshops were held in 2015, in Shelbyville, Pendleton, Kokomo and Muncie.
In 2016, the Purdue Extension Nutrition Education Program became a partner in Active Living Workshops.
Fourteen workshops were held in 2016, in Rushville, New Castle, Logansport, Greenfield, Linton, Huntington, Rochester, Connersville, Bedford, Plymouth, Evansville, Huntingburg, Kendallville and Vincennes.
Kate Riordan (kriordan [at] hbdin [dot] org)
for more information.